With Banting, your main source of energy should come from fat. I'm not talking about the bad kind, I'm talking about the good kind (What? You didn't know that certain fats are actually good for your body and will help you to loose weight while combating your cravings for all those sugary carbs?? Click the link above to read more about good fat). Good fats are things like butter, bacon & animal fat, olive oil, almonds, coconut oil, cream cheese, full cream milk & yogurt....the list goes on! But while your energy should come from fat, you need to remember that eating lots of vegetables is just as important to keep that body of yours lean and clean.
A lot of people, myself included, go through dips as soon as the afternoon arrives, when the craving for something sweet and sugary is often the hardest to resist. This is your body's way of saying it needs more energy, and for Banters, this means fat. A great way to quickly satisfy those cravings is with fat bombs. Fat bombs are just that, bombs of fat that fill you up fast, while delivering your body exactly what it wants when it wants it. There are loads of different fat bomb recipes, but this one is my absolute favourite so far. Chocolate and cheesecake, what's not to like? And another great thing about this recipe is that there is no oven required. As long as you have a fridge/freezer you are on your way to one happy tummy.
For the Chocolate
- 6 TBSP Coconut Oil
- 6 TBSP Butter
- 1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp orange extract or use the juice of fresh orange
- 1/2 -1 tsp sweetener of choice (I used Xylitol which you can buy in Korea here)
For the Cheesecake Centre
- 1/4 Cup Butter, room temperature
- 1/4 Cup Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1-2 TBSP juice from zested orange
- dash sea salt
- optional sweetener to taste (I used a small amount of sweetener as the slight sweetness of the orange juice was enough for me)
- Set up an ice tray or silicone candy mold/mini paper cups.
- Use a double boiler or a heavy bottomed saucepan to melt your coconut oil and butter for your chocolate.
- Once melted remove from the heat and whisk in cocoa powder and sea salt. Add orange juice and sweetener to taste (you need to taste here to make sure you aren't going overboard with the sweetness).
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to whip together your cheesecake filling; butter, cream cheese, zest, orange juice and salt. Make it as fluffy as possible.
- Pour a thin layer of your chocolate mix into the bottom of your ice tray/ silicone mould/paper cups. You can put the chocolate bottoms into the freezer to firm up so there is no chance of cheesecake peeking through or you could just start adding your dollops of cheesecake.
- Add the cheesecake filling to shape and place on top of the chocolate.
- Once done, pour the rest of the chocolate on top of your moulds.
- Place your chocolates in the freezer and in 30-60 minutes they will be ready to munch! Place in a a reusable container for to store (if you have any left!).
This recipe filled a regular 12 cube ice tray.
Adapted from Gratefully Nourished